Thursday, April 15, 2010

Boxes Piled High

I watched them drive away
As young as she looked when she hugged me goodbye
Carefree with a touch of apprehension
And he wouldn't meet my eye

The boxes were piled in the back seat, so I couldn't see them as they drove away
And I knew I would miss this, and the empty creaks in the house we all lived in
Would drive me up the wall
All alone
And you promised to write
And you promised to call
And you promised it would all last

Months come, and months go
Rain, heat, Summer, snow
I didn't hear from her after several months
And I worried
As I walked in the empty rooms I could not refill with any sense of delight

And they drove away with the boxes piled
The end of Spring had come and it was time
He couldn't look me in the eye
Or he wouldn't look me in the eye
And I should've known then it was the end of an era

And you promised to write
And you promised to call
And you promised it would all last

Months come, and months go
Rain, heat, Summer, snow
And I heard a knock
There she was shivering
Looking nervous
Staring at my mouth and not my eyes
And I saw what her make-up couldn't hide
And I brought her in and told her that I loved her
And I pulled her close, just wanting to hold her
And make it all better
Hot chocolate and an old sweater

He was a hit and run
And she was too young
To know better
And we'd all been there
In one form or another
As she talked her voice came back down
Her eyes became focused
And I told her we'd get through this
I knew we'd get through this

Month come, and months go
And now there's 3 in the house again
And luckily he's not the the spitting image of him
But he's beautiful, and he's tough
And his mother looks at him with so much love
And we know we've made it past
And we know we're free at last

The house is how it should be
Filled with delight

1 comment:

  1. I loved this. It had a very poignant meaning for me personally, in fact, it could have been me that you were writing about especially since yesterday would have been my Wedding Anniversary!
    Oh well, strange things happen while blogging!

    ReplyDelete