Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Further & Left Alone in the World

Further~

I fell from the sky and straight into your lap
You caught me like a fire fighter looking a little confused
And you were beautiful in my eyes
Maybe just because you rescued me
Or maybe because if I hadn't fallen you would be unattainable

And I touch every part of you
Prying as best as I can into your thoughts
And they don't make much sense to me
But I figure one day they may

You brought the music back into my heart
And then faded away like a beautiful sunset
Tell me the truth
Why can't I have a bigger piece of you?

I stood in the bar my eyes searching for you
In the midst, in the perfection of dim lighting and beer pitchers
But you wouldn't make your way to me
Because there were just too many distractions
Too many brighter and better than me

I wish I could paint
I'd paint your beauty on a canvas
In stone blues, grays, and blacks
Like you're further away than I can imagine

I fell from the sky into your strong arms
And now I beg you not to drop me
I should take you in
In my heart
In my dreams
Deeper & Deeper into me
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Left Alone in the World

I asked her what the truth was
On the wrong day
Her day of reckoning
And her answer left me spinning where I stood
She said it was simple
And complicated all at the same time
It was a busy world
That wouldn't slow down
And couldn't end well
With all the fighting that was going on and on

He had left her all alone
Once more
And she couldn't function without him
Not yet, not in the here and now
All she could see was his face
All she could remember was the look he'd given her as he turned to shut the door
The intensity in his eyes
Grabbing at the strings attaching her heart to his fingers
She felt alone
She felt torn
She felt alive with ache
At least she felt something

Dealing with my own depravity
I asked what it all meant
And she laughed at me bitter
yet, still sweet
Her harmony was more than I could take

Life isn't easy here
Life isn't deeper than you can make it
She was speaking riddles and as of yet I barely understood
I just knew there was more, more than she could say
More than she could see

Left there when he was far
She was unable to move on
Not being lead
I held her hand, just because I saw she needed it
I let her sit there and cry
I let her sit there and cry
Drank our sorrows over the disappointment with tea and sympathy

Life isn't easy here
Life isn't deeper than you can make it
She was speaking riddles and as of yet I barely understood
I just knew there was more, more than she could say
More than she could see

5 comments:

  1. These were both so beautiful...and yet, so sad. Both speak of despair...and longing...and loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These poems really touched me...I lost my husband 4 years ago while I was still only 26, and last Christmas/February I lost both of my parents and a brother and my sister.
    How I wish that I could turn back the clock and change things!
    Thank you so much for these poems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn: Thank you :) I think a lot of my stuff is like that. Or whimsical. lol*

    Alice: Yes, I remember you writing me about that. It's such a tragedy, but you have come out SUCH a strong woman! I am really glad my poetry can touch you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love your stuff.... I will be back if you let me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir Thomas, of course I would love for you to come back by & read away! Thank you so much for you compliment :)

    ReplyDelete